I have been in all aspects of real estate, from selling and designing to now working for a title company in Fort Myers, FL. What I’ve found is that when it’s time to sell one’s house, many people simply don’t know where to begin.
Not only do you need to hire a real estate professional and choose a title company etc. but you also need to make your home ready to sell.
If you turn any popular home network on cable TV you’ll find a program on real estate more specifically staging or decorating your home to sell.
I certainly don’t feel one needs to go out and spend tons of money in order to sell their home, but certainly needs to understand the importance of preparing your home to be ready to sell. Here are a few things you can do to attract more buyers.
Rearrange your furniture
Almost every home shows better with less furniture. Here are a few ways to remove the clutter:
- Remove pieces of furniture that block or hamper paths and walkways and put them in storage.
- Since your bookcases are now empty, store them.
- Remove extra leaves from your dining room table to make the room appear larger.
- Leave just enough furniture in each room to showcase the room’s purpose and plenty of room to move around.
Remove personal items & de-clutter
Did you take down all of the family photos? Buyers can’t see past personal artifacts, and you don’t want them to be distracted. You want buyers to imagine their own photos on the walls, and they can’t do that if yours are there!
Also, over the years, you may have collected an amazing quantity of junk. I always say if you haven’t used it in over a year, you probably don’t need it. So make sure you de-clutter your house to free up space.
Dry up those tears and disassociate yourself
If you’ve been living in your house for an extended period of time, chances are you’ve made some life-long memories that you’re not quite ready to say good-bye too.
But when you’re ready to sell your home, it’s easiest if you can disassociate yourself. Make the mental decision to “let go” of your emotions and focus on the fact that soon this house will no longer be yours.
Picture yourself handing over the keys and envelopes containing appliance warranties to the new owners. The goal is to sell your home fast and for the most money possible. So if that means making a few changes, so be it.
Real Estate agents like AJ Ackerman LOVE great-looking homes because they are easier to sell. Here are a few reasons why it’s so important.
- An agent’s job is to please their clients, and they will direct their buyers to the homes they think they will buy.
- Agents talk to other agents who are also directing their buyers to the best homes on the market. An attractive listing will be shown more often, meaning more market exposure critical for a quick and profitable house sale.
- Staging a listing for sale in an area where the concept hasn’t caught on can give you an advantage, particularly if there are many unsold listings similar to yours on the market. Buyers gravitate to listings that look good and are in move-in condition.
- Buyers are looking for value. When prices are flat or on the decline, buyers need to perceive that the house is worth the price.
The Bottom Line: Make Your Home Ready to Sell
Remember that it is a business decision that can have a huge impact on your financial return and timeline.
Then once you have a buyer and an executed contract, ask your agent to refer you to a reputable title agency that offers real estate closing & settlement services and one that sends out weekly emails to keep you updated on the status of the transaction.
You’ll be glad you did.